French Offices in China
The French post offices in China were among the post offices maintained by foreign powers in China around the beginning of the 20th century. France maintained an extensive postal system in China. In addition to a general series of stamps for these offices, individual issues (stamps of Indochina overprinted with the name of the city in which the post office was located) were used at French post offices in Canton, Hoi Hao, Mongtsen, Pakhoi, Tch'ong K'ing (Chunking) and Yunnan Fou (Kunming). In addition, stamps were issued for Kwangchowan, a leased territory administered by French Indochina.
1,2: general issue stamps
4,5: Hoi Hao
10,11: Yunnan Fou
The post offices were closed in December 1921, with the exception of Kwangchowan, which had been leased in 1898 and was not formally returned to China until 1946.
French Offices in Crete
The French post offices in Crete were among a collection
of post offices maintained by foreign countries during the 1900s in Crete,
after Crete had broken away from the Ottoman Empire and before it united with
Greece, in 1913.
France issued postage stamps for its offices in Crete in 1902 and 1903. The first set included 15 values, from one centime to five francs, consisting of the design of the French stamps of 1900, modified to be inscribed "CRETE". This was only a partial solution, since the local currency was still in piastres, and so in 1903 the post offices issued five of the larger values surcharged with values from one to twenty piastres.
The post offices were closed in October 1914.
French Offices in Egypt
The French post offices in Egypt were a system of post offices
maintained by France in Egypt during the early years of the 20th century.
They were primarily intended to facilitate commercial and trading interests
that needed to communicate between France and points east. The post offices
were located at Alexandria and Port Said. France issued postage stamps for
each of these two, generally at the same time and with the same general characteristics,
with the one overprinted or inscribed "ALEXANDRIE" and the other
The first issue appeared in 1899; it consisted of the post office name overprinted on the current "Type Sage" stamps, a total of 15 values ranging from one centime to five francs. The first stamps inscribed for these post offices were the French designs of 1900 modified to include the post offices' names. In 1921 the stamps were surcharged in Egyptian currency.
The French post offices in Egypt were closed in 1931.
A French postal agency had sent mail from Tangier as early as 1854, but the formal beginning of the system was in 1891, when French post offices were established throughout the sultanate. The offices issued postage stamps of France surcharged with values in pesetas and centimos, at a 1-1 ratio with the denominations in French currency, using both the Type Sage issues, and after 1902, Mouflon issue inscribed "MAROC" (which were never officially issued without the surcharge). In 1911, the Mouflon designs were overprinted in Arabic; in the same year, the Sherifian post was created to handle local mail, using special stamps.
France maintained its post offices in Morocco till 1912 when the country was divided into French and Spanish protectorate.
French Offices in Turkey
The French post offices in the Turkish Empire were post offices
in various cities of the Ottoman Empire run by France between 1812 and 1923.
France was one of nine countries that had negotiated "Capitulations"
with the Ottomans, various extra-territorial rights in exchange for trade
opportunities. In the case of mail, the countries' purpose was to facilitate
communication between business interests at home and agents throughout the
Middle East. The system came to end with the Treaty of Lausanne in 1923.
Originally, the post office used postage stamps of France, but these were denominated in centimes and francs instead of the local piasters, so beginning in 1885, some French stamps were surcharged in piasters, at a rate of four piasters to the franc. Beginning in 1902, the Merton series was issued with the inscription "LEVANT".
World War I forced the closure of all the post offices in 1914. After the war, only the office in Constantinople reopened, operating from August 1921 to July 1923. Stamps of France were again surcharged.
Aside from a general issue, individual issues were used in Cavalle (Cavalla), Dedeagh (Dedeagatch), Port Lagos and Vathy (Samos).